A city forged
of the first impressions visitors have of Palmyra is how neat and tidy
the town is. The second thing people often notice is how historic the
town is with a large number of well-cared-for antebellum homes and a
beautiful courthouse. In fact, Palmyra is home to more than 200 structures
built before the Civil War, several of which are listed on the National
Register of Historic Places including the towns museum and visitor
center on Main Street.
Founded in 1819 by mostly southern settlers, the town is one of the
oldest in northeast Missouri and became the county seat of Marion County
Standing in front of the courthouse is a statue (pictured at right)
of a Civil War soldier which memorializes 10 Confederate prisoners who
were executed by Union forces in 1862 in retaliation for the supposed
murder of a local pro-Union man.
Palmyra Massacre Monument lists the names of those killed while nearby
historic signs describe the incident. Because of its southern roots
as well as the towns importance to the Union Army, emotions ran
high in Palmyra throughout the war.
The current courthouse, built in 1900, is Marion Countys third.
Interesting architectural features of the courthouse are stone faces
which welcome visitors entering the doors of the building.
For information about visiting Palmyra contact the Chamber of Commerce
at P.O. Box 446, Palmyra, MO 63461; or call (573) 769-2223.