A fortress high above the muddy Missouri
by Heather Berry
Once the guardian of an unexplored
frontier, historic Fort Osage recreates an era when rugged men sought
furs and found adventure among the American Indians along the Missouri
Built in 1808, under the watchful
eye of William Clark, joint commander of the Lewis and Clark expedition,
and Capt. Eli B. Clemson, soldiers erected the fort to serve many purposes.
It functioned as an outpost in the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase,
housed soldiers and protected the United States Factory Trade House.
The fort also assisted the
American government in befriending the area's Osage Indians and offered
Missouri's first settlers sanctuary as they headed westward.
Dressed in early 19th century
attire, museum staff and volunteers engage in activities to complement
their period surroundings. From holiday celebrations to reenactments ofdaily
tasks, Fort Osage brings the past to life again.
Fort Osage is located in
Sibley, along the Missouri River, 14 miles northeast of Independence.
Call the Jackson County Parks and Recreation Heritage Museums and
Programs at (816) 795-8200, ext. 1-260, for more information.