A place of valor
The Anderson House, Lexington
The Anderson House in Lexington
sits quietly on a hilltop overlooking the Missouri River Valley below.
During the Civil War the house experienced anything but quiet when it
became embroiled in a battle that raged around it for three days.
The Battle of Lexington State
Historic Site contains the Anderson House which became a Union field hospital
during the 1861 battle. The house, built in 1853, changed hands three
times during the battle and its exterior brick walls are still pockmarked
by shot and shell.
The site, managed by the Missouri
Department of Natural Resources, also contains much of the original battlefield
and a visitor's center and museum tells the story of the battle in detail
along with information on the pivitol role Missouri played in the Civil
The grounds are open daily,
year-round from sunrise to sunset and include a self-guided walking tour
which takes visitors to key locations of the battle including the Anderson
House and its restored gardens and orchard. Guided tours of the Anderson
House are also available.
For more information call the
site at (660) 259-4654, write to P.O. Box 6, Lexington, MO 64067 or visit www.mostateparks.com.